Thursday, August 24, 2006

Charlotte's Web



Quotable Quotes from CHARLOTTE’S WEB

Charlotte on living the life of a spider:

“Why not? It’s true, and I have to say what is true. I am not entirely happy about my diet of flies, bugs, but it’s the way I’m made. A spider has to pick up a living somehow or other, and I happen to be a trapper. I just naturally build a web and trap flies and other insects. My mother was a trapper before me. Her mother was a trapper before her. All our family have been trappers. Way back for thousands and thousands of years we spiders have been laying for flies and bugs.”
“It’s a miserable inheritance,” said Wilbur, gloomily.


Dr. Dorian on the miraculous appearance of words in Charlotte’s web:

“…I’m a doctor. Doctors are supposed to understand everything. But I don’t understand everything, and I don’t intend to let it worry me.”

Charlotte explaining why she helped Wilbur:

“You have been my friend,” replied Charlotte. “That in itself is a tremendous thing. I wove my webs for you because I liked you. After all, what’s a life, anyway? We’re born, we live a little while, we die. A spider’s life can’t help being something of a mess, with all this trapping and eating flies. By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a trifle. Heaven knows anyone’s life can stand a little of that.”

On life and waiting for the spider’s eggs to finally hatch:

Life is always a rich and steady time when you are waiting for something to happen or to hatch.

Here are some resources you can check out if you want to know more about the movie and the book:

  1. http://www.charlotteswebmovie.com/site/index.php
  2. http://www2.lhric.org/pocantico/charlotte/
  3. http://www.murrieta.k12.ca.us/alta/dfuller/charlotte/index.html



Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home