Monday, September 11, 2006

Proof



Proof (2005)

Plot Outline: The daughter of a brilliant but mentally disturbed mathematician, recently deceased, tries to come to grips with her possible inheritance: his insanity. Complicating matters are one of her father's ex-students who wants to search through his papers and her estranged sister who shows up to help settle his affairs.

Sunday night was movie night for me. Miki was out to have fun with his beer buddies so I had the TV to myself (Yes!). Proof was not really an outstanding movie, if you were to ask me. But knowing that it was based on the play by David Auburn which won the Pulitzer, I figured it was worth watch. I guess I did like the movie. The story was solid and the characters focused. I especially liked Anthony Hopkin's portayal.

For me, the movie was about relationships and how we are shaped by them. There is Catherine, who took on the responsibility of taking care of their father. She wanted to start a life away from his own circle but she could just not bear the thought that he cannot manage on his own. And so she was drawn back to the very environment that she wanted to escape from. Then there is Claire, the absentee daughter. She too has her own struggles but she would rather win her battles on her own.

Talk about families and how we struggle to keep them. I had my own share of dilemmas when my father died. I wasn't just ready to start life again in Bacolod. But with my father dead, my mother would be coming home to an empty house full of painful memories from the recently concluded events. I had to reconsider my decision. It was time for us to retrace our steps into each other's lives.

Suprisingly, I enjoyed Bacolod. So much that the prospect of leaving it was unthinkable to some extend. Until the unexpected turn of events.

But my mother and I are okay now. We have managed to live separate lives but enjoy stronger bond. We now talk about our feelings and our problems. And now I know, wherever I may be, I can always look forward to coming home.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home